It’s Easter Monday. After a wonderful, jam-packed (or it that “ham-packed”?) day of celebrating Easter with friends and family, there’s more chocolate in the house, it’s been determined that no matter how good my butterhorns are, they’ll never live up to Grandma Vohs’s, my fridge is full of leftovers, and I’m ready for a day of doing nothing. Unfortunately, that’s not happening. There was school this morning, my husband’s working so he can take off Wednesday, and the little youngest girls are down with a slight fever and head congestion. To top it off, it seems as if my sister-in-law wasn’t correct in her prediction, as spring was not locked up in the box with the alleluias after all. The alleluias are out; the sunshine is not. If spring is truly right around the corner, it sure is a long block!
So, to cater to the dream of warmer weather, here are two recipes: Hawaiian Pizza and Smothered Chicken. I made the Hawaiian Pizza last night using leftover ham and the pineapple that had been sitting on the counter all weekend. The Smothered Chicken is a recipe made especially for hot weather, as it’s completely done in the microwave to avoid heating up the kitchen. It’s also simply a quick way to get dinner on the table. 🙂
- 1 cup water
- 1 package or 2-1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups flour
- 4 oz. (1/2 package) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 – 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/s tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup cooked ham, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Dissolve yeast in water in large bowl. Add rest of ingredients; stir until dough forms and all ingredients are combined. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth. Place in greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 20 minutes or until doubled. Or you can cheat and place the dough ball on a lightly floured surface and let rest under plastic wrap for 10 minutes or so while you get the toppings ready. It’ll still work. 🙂
Roll or shape dough into circle or rectangle (whatever shape pizza you want) on lightly floured surface. Place on baking sheet or preheated pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal. Spread cream cheese on dough. Top with sauce, basil, oregano, and garlic powder. Sprinkle with cheese; top with ham and pineapple. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is browned. Let sit for a few minutes, cut, and dream of summer. 🙂
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 2 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 box stuffing mix, chicken flavor
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- 4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 cup light sour cream
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup swiss cheese, grated or ¼ cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 can mushroom stems and pieces, drained or 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Cut chicken breasts in half and sprinkle with lemon pepper.
- Cook chicken breasts on microwave safe plate for 10 minutes at 80% or until juices run clear and center is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, mix stuffing mix with hot water in bottom of microwave safe 11×7” dish or 9” deep dish glass pie plate. Cut up margarine into chunks and spread over stuffing.
- Stir sour cream and milk together in small bowl. Stir in swiss cheese, mozzarella cheese, basil, and garlic.
- When chicken is cooked, place on top of stuffing mixture. Spoon sour cream mixture evenly over chicken pieces.
- Divide mushrooms evenly over chicken.
- Cook uncovered 5 minutes on high in microwave.
Serves 4. Double the recipe and place in a 9×13″ glass baking dish.